background

Friday, September 2, 2011

crispy asparagus straws


I was able to stop by Trader Joe's over the weekend after dropping off my dog for a bath. I miss Trader Joe's, which I used to be able to shop at whenever I wanted. In fact, my apartment back in college used to be within a few miles from five supermarkets; everything you could ever want, from high end (Whole Foods)to low (Trader Joe's). Now, I'm lucky even if I happen to be in an area with a market other than Albertsons. It's hard to find more specialty items for things I want to make, but that's a whole other discussion.

Back to asparagus. I followed the ingredients in this recipe pretty much to the t, which made sense since everything it called for was relatively common. Started with steamed asparagus, just a few minutes to keep its crunch. FYI: when prepping asparagus, you want to hold the ends of the spear and bend to a snap; where it breaks is the natural spot to remove the fibrous woody ends. If your lucky with really fresh asparagus, the amount of ends removed will be short (I had a few where it took off almost half of the spear).


With the asparagus prepped, all that was needed was to roll it up in phyllo dough. Reminder: keep the delicate phyllo from drying out by placing a slightly damp towel over the unused portion. I didn't have quite enough prosciutto, since I used it in the prosciutto tea sandwiches, so I cut the pieces a bit smaller than the recipe called for.


The phyllo ended up crisping very nicely, and the prosciutto added a much needed saltiness, since the asparagus was unseasoned. I barely made a dent in the box of phyllo dough with this recipe. I must find more applications, but thank goodness they keep in the freezer in the mean time.

No comments:

Post a Comment