background

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

fondant cupcakes


A couple weekends ago, my aunt ordered mini cupcakes from me for her dinner party. She wasn't very specific in terms of flavor or design, so I decided to make two flavors: orange-cardamom and chocolate-orange. The recipes were from Epicurious and Williams-Sonoma, respectively.

Since I had to make these in advance and send them on a plane with my mom, I made an orange simple syrup and cocoa simple syrup to brush onto the cupcakes. This helps keep them moist, especially if you need to refrigerate cakes.

The mini cupcakes were for adults, so I made simple fondant flowers/bows/leaves . There were going to be three kids at the dinner, so I made regular sized cupcakes for them and topped each one with a different fondant animal: a dinosaur for the boy, and a blue bird and bumble bee for the two girls.

Please excuse my orange paper and blue tape, they were part of my homemade packaging to prevent movement during the flight.

I think they over well, my aunt sent me a red envelope in return :)

No comments:

Post a Comment