background

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

pommes annette


I got these fingerling potatoes a week ago, and needed to find a new way to use them. I've roasted a medley of small potatoes before, and they've always been a big hit, but I wanted something different. I have a  new mandoline slicer, which I've wanted for a while now, and this was a great recipe to test it out on. Thank you E. for picking it up for me!

 
This recipe actually takes quite a bit of prep time, so make it only if you have time to spare. I sliced each potato as I was ready to use it, that way it would prevent browning. Instead of using goat cheese, as the recipe originally called for, I substituted ricotta, another soft cheese. I'm still not that adventurous when it comes to cheeses.


My layers actually consisted more than one slice at a time, since my fingerlings were a bit on the skinny side. I think they turned out just fine, and looked more like the traditional French pommes anna. The shingling of layers looked great. Since I used ricotta instead of goat cheese, they were definitely more subtle in flavor, so I was more generous when seasoning. The outside was a bit crispy and the center was softer and creamier with the ricotta. I also only have one mini muffin pan, so wasn't able to weigh down the potatoes as the recipe called for, but I just make sure to press the layers down well.


Pommes Annette adapted

makes 2 dozen

1 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 sprigs of fresh thyme
15-20 fingerling potatoes, skin on
5 oz fresh ricotta cheese
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 with the rack in the center. Butter the mini muffin pan and place a few thyme leaves in the bottom of each cup.

Cut the potatoes into 1/16 inch thick slices. Butter both sides of enough slices to make the first layer. Place them on top of the thyme leaves. Cover with a bit of ricotta and season generously with salt and pepper. Make nine more layers, alternating unbuttered potato slices with the ricotta; only top and bottom slices are buttered. Sprinkle a few thyme leaves on the last layer of ricotta. Finish with one last layer of buttered potatoes on top. Season with salt and pepper again. Press down to ensure compact layers.

Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about another 10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let cool slightly for a few minutes and remove by running a knife around the sides. Turn over onto a platter and serve warm. Can be made in advance and reheated at 350 for 5 minutes or until warm.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice recipe! I just made these for the first time, and went right to the computer to look up other versions, and your beautiful blog popped up! I am your newest follower! You might like to take a peek at my blog too? www.mylivingcookbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete