background

Thursday, September 15, 2011

pizza with wild mushrooms and fontina cheese


I made pizza for the first time earlier this year. Something simple with sun dried tomatoes and arugula. Reminded me of one of my favorites from my go to pizza parlor back in college. This one is a white pizza, which I've never tried before since the sauce is one of the best parts.


A Chinese market nearby always sells these beautiful organic wild mushrooms. A perfect choice for this pizza, I thought. So I picked up some maitake, bunashimeji, and oyster mushrooms along with ready to use whole wheat pizza dough. Had to buy some fontina cheese, but at least it was reasonably priced and easily found.

I actually washed the mushrooms. I know, I know. You're not supposed to wash mushrooms because they are like sponges and will soak up all the water. But really, I don't think a damp cloth will clean the dirt completely. So, I just washed them a day ahead, dried them really well, and placed them flat on a paper towel lined baking sheet for a few hours. The next day, I sauteed them off, making sure not to shake the pan to ensure a nice sear.


I like my pizza with a super thin crust, so these were no different. As I said before, I really like mushrooms, so this pizza was a no brainer. Sauteing the mushrooms is a must, since the pizzas aren't in the oven very long. I served them with a bit of crushed red pepper for those who prefer their pizza with a bit of heat. Packed some for my friend for lunch and she said it was good. Even the boys at her office liked it, surprising since it is completely meatless. A good sign though, I think.

Pizza with Wild Mushrooms and Fontina Cheese

makes 4 small pizzas

1 3/4 pounds assorted fresh wild mushrooms
1 package fresh pizza dough, divided into four sections
1 small package fontina cheese
olive oil
sea salt
pepper
all purpose flour, for dusting

Prepare the mushrooms. Wash as I've mentioned above, or if you don't mind, wipe with a damp cloth to remove dirt. Slice the larger mushrooms into 1/8 inch pieces, leave the smaller mushrooms as is. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil to cover the pan. Working in batches to prevent overcrowding the pan, sear the mushrooms for a few minutes, turning only once, until just cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Continue with the rest of the mushrooms, adding more oil as needed.

Preheat the oven to 500. Place one piece of the pizza dough on a clean, floured work surface. Work the dough into desired thickness or thinness as I did. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with desired amount of cheese, shaved as I did or shredded as the original recipe called for. Top with a quarter of the mushrooms. Season with a bit more salt and pepper to taste.

Bake until crust is golden brown, about 8-12 minutes, rotating halfway through baking. Serve warm. Crushed red pepper optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment