background

Friday, August 19, 2011

something a bit different



I actually started baking before I ever ventured into cooking and savory applications. This is actually based on a few different recipes, but mostly on Cannelle et Vanille's Bittersweet, Milk Chocolate and Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake. I love her style and presentation, not to mention her recipes and choices of flavor combinations.


I made a matcha green tea cake instead of the chocolate biscuit originally instructed, since I saw her Matcha, Lemon and Chocolate Opera Cake. I love green tea and had some left over matcha powder, so decided to mix the recipe. My matcha cake is actually from an old recipe I kept years ago for a roll cake. It always comes out fluffy and spongy.


My concoction started off with a layer of matcha cake with a lemon simple syrup brushed on top, followed with a layer of lemon cream (I didn't have meyer lemons, so used a regular lemon instead with less zest). My layers looked a bit thin, so I made another layer of cake to add volume. I used a dark chocolate glaze on top of this second layer of cake to act as a foundation for the dark chocolate chantilly. 


I tempered bittersweet chocolate the night before and used them as a decorative topping. These went over pretty well at a recent dinner party. I thought the lemon was a bit strong, but my friend enjoyed the tartness it imparted. Perhaps I will use a bit less lemon juice and make a milk chocolate chantilly next time to adjust for sugar levels.


This was my first multi-layered and more intricate cake endeavor. I really enjoyed it, especially the layers of flavor and textures. My head has been working on ideas of other combinations and styles. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment