background

Friday, August 12, 2011

pan fried tilapia on ginger-jalapeno rice cakes



I wake up in the mornings to CNN these days, and the news of our poor economy fills my kitchen from wall to wall. The other day, a reporter was doing a piece on our job market, indicating that despite the better than expected job numbers in July, much of our sectors are still hurting. Of which, the financial sector is hardest hit with many major players cutting jobs.

Slightly depressed by those words, I decided to start my blogging plan and looked in my refrigerator while flipping through the pages of recipes. I was originally going to follow the book chronologically, but realized that if I bounced around, I would be able to make recipes that coincided with ingredients that I happened to have, rather than needing to purchase everything new all the time.

Although not entirely identical to Martha Stewart's recipe, this one is based heavily on her "Grilled Swordfish on Ginger-Jalapeno Rice Cakes," with just a few minor adjustments. I already had a tupperware of brown rice ready for use and fillets of tilapia waiting for preparation. I followed the recipe for the rice cakes, just opting for my brown rice instead. As for the fish, I followed the marinade, but pan fried it with a bit of olive oil.


The results? Quite good for a first time try. I actually liked the brown rice since it probably offered a bit more flavor and crunch compared to white rice. As for the tilapia, I actually didn't mind the fact that it was a softer fish than swordfish, the flakiness and subtle texture actually worked well with the crispy rice cakes.

Hope all you out there enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment