background

Friday, August 26, 2011

a refreshing summer drink transformed


For those that know me well know that I love tea. A good hot cup of earl grey can soothe a like no other on a cold rainy night. As such, a crisp iced green tea can be the quencher a dry throat seeks on a scorching afternoon. One of my best friends can attest that we've made more than our (and most people's) fair share of tea runs every summer. Our drink of choice? Iced green tea with aloe.

This cake was inspired by the many drinks at our favorite tea place. I had some white peaches and of course matcha powder left over from before. Each layer has it's own individual accent flavor to combine into a honey white peach matcha green tea cake.


I finally bought a candy thermometer after years without one, forcing me to avoid recipes that called for a pâte à bombe. After a very very long night a couple of Christmases ago with three failed attempts before I finally got the right consistency for the Daring Bakers Bûche de Noël challenge, I never ventured into another pâte à bombe again. The thermometer totally made all the difference in the world. I was even able to make the bubble sugar art for decoration.


I made the same matcha green tea sponge cake, then layered a white peach mousse on top. The mousse was simply white peaches, which I pureed with a bit of lemon simple syrup, folded into the pâte à bombe base along with some whipped cream. I froze the two layers before I piped a honey chantilly and atopped it with a piece of bubble sugar.


The cake was best served at room temperature, when all of the flavors were at their peak. I liked this one more than the matcha green tea with lemon cream and chocolate chantilly; the flavors just felt more appropriate for the warm weather we've been having.

I've enjoyed these layered cakes, which are less complicated than it really looks. My next idea will be based on another tea drink, no surprise there.

No comments:

Post a Comment