background

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

sesame-crusted chicken salad tea sandwiches


I've had steamed chicken sitting in my fridge for a couple of days now, leftovers from dinner one night. It was meant to be eaten with salted minced ginger and green onions, a typical Cantonese dish. Therefore, the chicken itself was quite bland, perfectly neutral I thought for this application. Martha Stewart called for a whole boiled chicken, with the boiling liquid reserved as stock for future use. I obviously didn't follow her preparation for the chicken, but mine was cooked with Chinese wine, which worked well in this Asian inspired dish.

  
The sesame oil infused mayonnaise was especially fragrant, pairing well with the stronger flavors of green onions and cilantro. I love the aroma of good sesame oil, reminds me of the bottle my friend has from Korea. Her's was freshly made and bottled right before she flew back home. That intensely toasty and nutty scent was amazing; made me want to steal the bottle, but I didn't.


I used store bought whole wheat bread and toasted it for a crispier textural contrast. Whole wheat bread is actually the bread of choice in my house, just because it is healthier. Toasting also made the bread a bit more palpable, changing the denser qualities to a warm bite with a bit of crunch.


These became dinner for the night, just as the other creations did as well. I liked these little sandwiches the most so far. Perhaps it was just because of the sesames, or maybe it was the chicken. Who doesn't like chicken?

No comments:

Post a Comment