background

Friday, December 23, 2011

snickerdoodles and gifts


As much as this holiday season is about food for me, it is also about giving and sharing some of that food as a small token of holiday cheer. I've always given some of the baked goods from my oven away, saving myself in part from high calories. Especially now though, I make cookies just to share. My mom requested a batch for her coworkers the other day, and I couldn't help but fill my house with the warm smell of cinnamon sugar.


Can you believe I've never had a snickerdoodle before I made this recipe? I know, I know, how is that even possible, considering it is just a sugar cookie with a cinnamon sugar crust. But I grew up in a pretty traditional Chinese household with minimal American snacks. And to be honest, snickerdoodles never quite interested me before, because I'm not a big fan of regular sugar cookies which are a bit sweet and plain for me.


But with all the baking with chocolate and nuts and spices, I thought this would be a nice change for simplicity while the flavor profile of cinnamon still kept it festive. They were better than I expected, with a crust from the cinnamon sugar giving way to a soft and chewy center. I wrapped them up two at a time separated by a piece of parchment paper over a splash of sunflower seed candies. Just a little treat with the comforts of home.


On an additional note, I brought my dog, Chiller, for a bath to be nice and clean for Christmas earlier in the week. I baked a batch of simple chunky cookies to bring to the groomers as a thank you and happy holidays. Here he is, surrounded by his toys, resting on his couch as usual.

Snickerdoodles --Martha Stewart

makes about 30

2 3/4 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Mix butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and gradually mix in flour mixture.

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into balls by combining two scoops from a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop (4 tsp). Roll in cinnamon sugar and space 3 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.

Bake cookies, rotating halfway through, until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia! It's Joe-Win. Elaine gave me your site. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe-Win! Thanks for visiting :) Hope you have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete